Monday, July 7, 2008

Josie-Albuquerque, New Mexico-age 17

This is a picture of me (Josie Fletcher) when I was 17 years old. The year was 1970. I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I was a junior in high school. The name of my high school was Manzano High school (which means apple in Spanish) and our school colors were purple and white. One of my favorite colors is purple so I really liked that. Our school mascot was a lion , so purple was very majestic and regal. I even bought a purple Sunday dress that year because I thought it would be fun to do. Mostly I made my dresses, but I bought this one. My other favorite color is turquoise or blue (the color of a robin’s egg).

I only lived in Albuquerque for two years and this picture was taken the second year that we were there. I loved the sunsets there. The sky was big and open and when there were a few clouds in the sky it would light up at sunset with beautiful colors of oranges, reds and yellows. Many times I would watch out my bedroom window until the sun went completely away.


As you can see from the picture below I had very straight hair. Sometimes when I was younger and many of the girls had beautiful curly hair, I had wished that I had been born with curly hair also, but that year I was very happy that my hair was straight. I was happy about it because many of my friends were trying to make their hair go straight and mine already came that way. Some girls would roll up their hair in orange juice cans when it was wet and keep them there until it was dry to try and make their hair more straight, and some would put stuff in their hair to make it more straight. Many people asked me if I ironed my hair on an ironing board to get it straight but I didn’t. I just blew it dry with the end of my portable hair dryer. Sometimes my sister Susie and I would crack an egg on our hair when we were in the shower to make our hair more shiny. Mostly it didn’t work and we just got bits of cooked eggs in our hair that was hard to pick out.

No comments: